Summer just screams salads. Especially when all of the farm fresh produce is ready and ripe. I try to make a huge salad each week, with tons of fresh produce and even fruit and berries. I make it in a large wooden salad bowl and then take the salad and store in large plastic baggies. I eat the salad all week for lunch and with dinner. It helps me get my veggies in and because its already made, I can grab it fast. If you dry your lettuce well, it should keep in the fridge for 4 to 5 days and look great.
Organic Paleo Summer Fresh Salad
- Two large organic lettuce heads - I use romaine or red leaf( washed and dried very well
- Two large organic tomatoes chopped - take seeds out, it helps the salad stay dry
- Two stocks celery
- 2 grated carrots
- Bunch of sugar snap peas chopped
- One bunch radishes chopped
- Red or green onions chopped
- ½ cup frozen organic baby peas
- Mushrooms if they are fresh - I add them daily to my salad, because they get all brown
- Spouts well rinsed and dried
- I use fresh blueberries or blackberries or raspberries inf they are nice and firm
- 5 boiled eggs - I keep separate and add one egg to each salad I eat
- Pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds for top
- I add to each salad separate, so they don’t get soft
- The Bomb! Blue Cheese Dressing
- 8 to 12 ounces of blue cheese - I like it strong, the more you use, the more blue cheesy it is
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- One tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- One teaspooon of salt and pepper
- Three tabelspoons of fresh parsley chopped
Toss everything in a large salad bowl besides the eggs, mushrooms and seeds. Put in large plastic baggies, or small ones to take to work.
I always make fresh salad dressings. Dressing at the store are full of fake crap. It's straightforward and easy to make your own. This recipe includes my naturally low fat blue cheese dressing.
Put all ingredients in a vitamix (or blender) and pulse several times until well blended, but the cheese is still a bit chunky. Will last 14 days in fridge.