Panzanella Salad (Bread Salad)
Panzanella Salad (Bread Salad) Recipe
When the basil plants are tall, and my tomatoes and cucumbers are aplenty, my Panzanella salad is my go-to salad to impress guests or simply spoil my family. Everyone loves it! You can make it with gluten free bread or regular. Try to find a gluten free bread that is similar to a chewy Italian-style bread. The secret is to get everything ready and toss in the dressing right before you serve it. You can add olives or pieces of cheese such as feta or Parmesan. The recipe below doesn’t include those, but creating new versions of the salad is fun, so experiment and enjoy.
- 4 Cups Bread Pieces Cut Up
- Three Tablespoons Organic Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper Lightly on Bread
- 3 Large Garden Tomatoes different colored varieties, if you have them Chopped
- 1 Red or Green Pepper Chopped
- ½ Red Onion or 5 Green onions cut into small pieces
- 4 Radishes Sliced
- 1 Large Organic Cucumber Chopped
- One Cup Basil Leaves I leave them whole, I like the look
- In large frying pan add three tablespoons of olive oil and heat until hot, but not smoking. Add your bread pieces and salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low heat and toast each side of the bread. You want the bread pieces to be lightly toasted and not burnt. Turn off heat and leave in pan.
- In a large bowl put all of your cut up veggies and herbs. Place in the frig. In small bowl whisk together your dressing and place in frig.
- Right before you serve your meal place bread in the bowl with the veggies and toss in the dressing.
- Serve immediately.