Creamy Mushroom Lasagna
Creamy mushroom lasagna
- 1 box gluten free lasagna noodles/ no boil noodles or regular no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 pound assorted chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 whole onion chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 8 ounce mozzarella cheese grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 6 leaves of chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- In a large frying pan add the 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and heat to medium hot. Add the Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions and cook on medium high heat until sausage is done. Add the garlic, rosemary, fennel, thyme and salt and pepper and cook two more minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat add the butter and melt completely . Add the flour once the butter is melted and whisk the butter and flour mixture together. Let the flour mixture cook for one minutes before you whisk in the milk to cook out the flour taste. Add salt and pepper to taste, the nutmeg and hot pepper flakes and continue to whisk until it becomes thick. Add extra milk if you feel the sauce is too thick.
- In medium bowl add the ricotta, beaten egg, and fresh parsley and mix together
- Put the fresh spinach in a microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with a bit of water. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes or until wilted and soft. Pour out any extra juices, but don't press out the liquid.
- In a 13 by 9 baking pan that has been oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray, add 1/3 of your cream sauce. Lay out three lasagna noodles side by side and top the noodles with 1/3 of your ricotta mixture, then 1/3 of your mushroom and sausage mixture, cooked spinach ,and end with some grated cheese. Repeat three times. You will not use your entire box of noodles. It takes a bit more than half the box. Top your lasagna with your parmesan cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven covered for 30 minutes. Take off foil and finish baking uncovered so that the top browns a bit.
I made this dish as a side dish to go with some bbq meats. It went well with the strong flavor of the smoked meat. You can leave out the sausage if you would like to make this dish vegetarian as well. The mushrooms have a meat texture and go well on their own. If you are using gluten free noodles make sure that your noodles are covered well with the layers of toppings. Spread the cream sauce all over each noodle to insure the pasta stays moist. The gluten free noodles needs the sauce to get tender and cook more it seems than the no boil gluten pasta. Not do too many layers of noodles. Three or four layers is plenty. So 9 to 12 noodles. I used 12 and I think 9 would have been better. If you feel the lasagna looks dry, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil on the top and leave the foil on the entire time. Gluten free noodles are different than regular pasta, so watch the moisture levels for best results. As always use organic ingredients when possible.