Lemon Garlic Zucchini with Squash Blossoms
This recipe has great flavor and comes together quick.
- frying pan
- 3 small zucchini sliced thin
- 3 zucchini flowers washed very well and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 leaves fresh basil chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- Wash the zucchini and the flowers very well. The flowers tend to have bugs inside of them so take your time and check all folds.
- Thinly slice your zucchini, chop your blossoms, finely chop your garlic and basil leaves. Zest your lemon and juice half of it.
- In a hot frying pan add your oil. Lay out your zucchini in a single layer so that you are able to get some nice browning on the slices. Turn each one in about 1 to 2 minutes, then add in your blossoms, garlic, basil. lemon zest and juice of half a lemon. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
My zucchini plant is so pretty this year in the garden! It is full of large yellow flowers that are calling my name to do something with them. Stuffing and frying the blossoms is very trendy in fine restaurants and for home cooks who strive to push the bounds on what most people do with garden zucchini, but I wanted to use the blossoms simply by quick frying them with the squash themselves. This recipe is much easier for sure, but the sweetness and tender taste of the blossoms are still the star of the show in this quick, simple recipe. You can’t go wrong with basil and lemon, but if you throw in some fresh garlic your garden zucchinis are going to sing, not to mention be super healthy for your body! The secret to this recipe is to make sure your pan is pretty hot so that you get some light color on the zucchini slices. You want to be careful to not get the pan too hot and burn your garlic. Have everything prepped and ready as this dish comes together super quick. You want color on your slices ,but you want to keep them somewhat crisp so get the zucchini out of the hot pan and on to a plate fast.